Penguins, history, sunsets, and the southernmost tip of Africa!
Students age 18-25 participating in a Loop Abroad program on June 13 – June 29 in any country.
This is the perfect chance for Loop students on the Veterinary Service: South Africa program to extend their journey and get even more out of their experience. Students on other Loop Abroad trips around the world may join, but will be responsible for the cost of any additional airfare (to Cape Town). There will be no airport pickup charge.
June 29 – July 6, 2020
Bonus Week can be linked seamlessly with any two-week program taking place on the following dates:
June 13 – June 29, 2020
From the lighthouses that dot the coast to the top of Table Mountain, the Adventure Bonus Week is just that: an adventure.
This one-week tour is especially designed for Loop Abroad students. It is packed with activities distinct from the Veterinary Service: South Africa program and combines the most interesting and well-known tourist locations with chances to experience and see unique wildlife and landscapes.
Each day will be filled with exploration and adventure including time in the city, cultural activities, and lots of exploring in nature. It is a packed week that takes you throughout and outside Cape Town and along the southernmost coast of Africa.
• Enjoying the V+A Waterfront in Cape Town
• Observing Cape Town from the Wheel of Excellence giant ferris wheel
• Savoring famous South African dishes such as biltong, bunny chow, melktert, and malva pudding
• Soaring to the top of Table Mountain on the cable car
• Touring Cape Town’s famous sites
• Visiting Robben Island, the prison where Nelson Mandela was held
• Getting up-close with African penguins at Boulders Beach
• Relaxing in picturesque Simon’s Town
• Exploring Cape National Park, home to baboons, fur seals, ostriches, and stunning views
• Snapping a selfie at the Southernmost tip of Africa
• Wandering the coast where the Indian and Atlantic Oceans meet
• Hiking in beautiful Agulhas National Park
• Discovering the famous Kirstenbosch Botancial Gardens, known as Africa’s most beautiful garden
• Cruising off the coast at sunset for a special view of Cape Town
• Seeing unique wildlife such as rock hyraxes and fur seals
• Photographing the protea, fynbos, birds of paradise, and other famous South African flowers
• Shopping for souvenirs, crafts, artwork, and clothes on Long Street
Exact itinerary is subject to change based on weather and availability of activities. This program takes place during South African winter, and wind and rain can make certain activities untenable. We will do our best to do everything on the schedule and will substitute other activities in case of heavy rain on some days.
Tuition is $1,850. For students enrolled in our South Africa Veterinary Service program, that includes flight from Johannesburg to Cape Town and back, all activities, all in-country transport, all housing, and all meals. Students joining this bonus week from another country will be responsible for flying to Cape Town on their own, and the flight is not included in the cost of tuition. Souvenirs, snacks, and non-water drinks are not included.
Housing will be at hotels or hostels where individuals not on a Loop Abroad program may be staying. Students will share rooms, but will not share a room with non-Loop participants. Meals will either be prepared by tour staff, eaten at restaurants, or self-catered (cost included). We can accommodate special dietary requests with advance notice.
Apply for a Loop Abroad program on June 15 – July 1 and pick “Adventure Bonus Week: South Africa”.
Remember: Students whose June 15 – July 1 program is in another country will be responsible for additional airfare. Students whose June 15 – July 1 program is in South Africa will not have additional airfare charge for adding the Adventure Bonus Week.